roasted corn, tomato & mozzarella salad
I’ve four days left in my current apartment, which I’ll miss wholeheartedly, and cooking is infrequent. I haven’t done much grocery shopping to avoid a full fridge in an otherwise empty apartment, so the cooking that does happen is resourceful. Meaning there’s been lots of foraging through the fridge/pantry for breakfast/lunch/dinner (ahem, espresso and a slice of fresh mozzarella for breakfast).
Fortunately, I had a decent arsenal at my disposal today to concoct a salad of roasted corn, tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil, pickled onions (thanks, mom!!), and olives. Salads are easy to prepare and can be composed of any medley of ingredients your heart desires… or that your fridge holds.
This dish requires no recipe, really, but here’s what went on to make it happen…
Roasted Corn, Tomato & Mozzarella Salad
In a medium bowl, combine:
– corn cut from four small broiled (or grilled) ears of corn
– two cups of diced tomatoes
– a cup of pickled onions
– one cup of diced fresh mozzarella
– half a cup of roughly diced olives
– a handful of roughly chopped basil
– season to taste with salt, black pepper, cracked red pepper, and olive oil
Leftovers can be tossed with pasta for a hearty meal. Mmm, can you guess what’s for dinner?
Happy Memorial Day!